Updating Virus Scanners

Marco Obaid marco at MUW.EDU
Fri Sep 24 21:07:03 IST 2004

I am aware of the bug. I do not think you read my e-mail though.

Quoting "Michele Neylon : Blacknight Solutions"
<michele at BLACKNIGHTSOLUTIONS.COM>:

> On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 14:56 -0500, Marco Obaid wrote:
> > Hi Julian,
> >
> > What is the logic behind searching for all installed virus scanners before
> > running updage_virus_scanners script? If I am specifying in
> MailScanner.conf
> > that Sophos is the virus scanner, why search the system for all scanners?
> >
> > I installed BitDefender (demo) a month ago to try it out. Today my server
> was
> > crawling only to find out that the update_virus_scanners script was
> dragging my
> > system to its knees because of an obvious problem with BitDefender bdc
> --vlist
> > (which I am not using). I use Sophos and obviously the update scanner
> spotted
> > that I have BitDefender installed and therefore it assumed that I use it.
> >
> > Is there any way that the update script *only* looks for what is setup in
> > MailScanner.conf rather than what virus scanners are installed on the
> system?
> > If not, that is okay ... I just learned a good lesson today.
> >
> > I am sure your update_virus_scanners is constructed that way for a good
> reason,
> > I just don't see it.
> >
> > Thank you for any insights
> > Marco
> >
> There's a bug with bitdefender. See the earlier thread
>

> --
> Mr Michele Neylon
> Blacknight Solutions
> http://www.blacknight.ie
> 059 9137101

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure  is trying to
please everybody." -Bill Cosby

    _/     _/  _/    _/  _/     _/ | Marco Obaid
   _/_/ _/_/  _/    _/  _/     _/  | Network Administrator
  _/  _/ _/  _/    _/  _/  _/ _/   | McDevitt Hall
_/     _/   _/_/_/   _/     _/     | Columbus MS 39701