MS killing CPU

Ugo Bellavance ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM
Thu Sep 23 21:35:17 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Hendrik den Hartog wrote:

> Recently our MS machine has been grinding to a halt. You can't
> 'get' to it, won't respond to pings etc. These periods have lasted
> several hours. In the past,it has eventually been 'springing' back
> to life of its own accord, allowing me to get a quick look. TOP
> showed occassionally a MS child hogging 100% CPU. Also we've had
> some SA timeouts recently.
>
> Currently its down, been down for over 12 hours now, seems I may
> have to go visit this machine to recusitate it.
>
> P4, 640 MegRam, MS v 4.33.3-1 (IIRC), SA v2.60, 2 child processes.
> Using DCC, and RAZOR2.
> Only recent change to the config is introducing eTRUST (to 'work'
> with SophosSAVI).
>
> Once back up, is there anything I should check? disable? test?
> change? in order to solve this problem?

I think you should take a couple of minutes before rebooting or anything:

Check your logs: maillog, secure, messages (for memory allocation problems).

Check the output of free and "vmstat 5" and "iostat 5" (ctrl-c to stop)

See SAR logs if you find any special trends.

Do you have mailscanner-mrtg installed?  I would look that first...