Starter Bayes database for SA 3.0 is available

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Thu Sep 23 19:17:00 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
At 01:53 PM 9/23/2004, Steve Swaney wrote:
>The bad news is I had trouble upgrading a Bayes database from SA 2.64 ->
>3.0. The good news is that as a result, I was forced to build a new SA 3.0
>DB from our saved ham and spam libraries.
>
>This database is for Linux only and is available at www.fsl.com/support
>
>With luck I'll have the FreeBSD database available shortly, late today or
>over the weekend.

Hmm.. not to be overly critical, but doesn't the concept of using a starter
bayes database defeat some of the purpose of using bayes in the first place?

Remember, the primary advantage bayes has is that it learns the email
patterns of your site, which are very different from other people's sites.
While spam training is sharable in a reasonable way, ham training contains
considerable site-to-site variances.

I suppose in some situations a starter is better than nothing, and it's a
really good thing to have out there for people that need it. However I
think it would be wise to at least advise people that this is a rather
sub-optimal way to start a bayes DB, rather than give them the false
impression this is a good idea with no drawbacks.

Just my $0.02.