SA 3.0 + MailScanner Bayes issue!

Michele Neylon :: Blacknight Solutions michele at BLACKNIGHTSOLUTIONS.COM
Thu Sep 23 08:38:56 IST 2004

MailScanner mailing list wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Steve Swaney wrote:
>
>> Sorry for the top posting but this thread is getting a bit confused â^ع
>>
>> 1. Remove all of the old SURBL/URI cf files in /etc/mail/spamassassin
>> 2. Download and install spam.assassin.pref.conf from our support web
>>    site:         www.fsl.com/support install the contents of this
>>         file as: /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Steve
>
> I still have the SURBL/URI files in /etc/mail/spamassassin.
> Are these just not needed with SpamAssassin 3?  They aren't causing
> any errors.

I got clarification on this last night from one of the developers:

"We've reviewed the SARE files, and identified all other rules that overlap with 3.0.0, and have migrated them to new files.  For instance, see http://www.rulesemporium.com/rules.htm#header

70_sare_header_x30.cf contains those rule(s) which duplicate 3.0, and should not be used with that version.

70_sare_header_x264_x30.cf contains those rule(s) which duplicate both 3.0 and 2.64, and should not be used with either of those versions.

If we've done it correctly, even if you include those files in your system you /should/ be OK, since we coded these files to give preference to the 2.64 and/or 3.0 rules. There should be no harm in including those files, other than increased overhead, but it's better for 3.0 installations to avoid the x30 files."

HTH

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Internet Solutions Ltd