SA 3 release and MailScanner

Marco Obaid marco at MUW.EDU
Wed Sep 22 19:04:12 IST 2004

Hi,

Quoting Julian Field <mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK>:

> It is there now. Please try it and let me know if it works for you or not
> (and whether you are using the INSTALL-rpm.sh or INSTALL-tar.sh).

I am a little confused about the new SA changes :(

I ran the INSTALL-rpm.sh and I saw some errors that I could ignore according to
the output. For example:

Do not worry too much about errors from the next command.
It is quite likely that some of the Perl modules are
already installed on your system.

Ignore errors from the perl-Digest and perl-Digest-MD5 packages.
Test-Harness is probably okay to ignore too.

error: Failed dependencies:
        perl(Digest::HMAC_MD5) is needed by perl-Net-DNS-0.48-1
        perl(Win32::Registry) is needed by perl-Net-DNS-0.48-1
    Suggested resolutions:
        perl-Digest-HMAC-1.01-11.1.noarch.rpm

Can we still use RulesDuJour with SA 3?
What about SpamCopURI?
Also, SA 3 complained about the bayes files from the 2.64 version.

I ran spamassassin -D --lint and had some errors:

debug: bayes: 23742 tie-ing to DB file R/O /etc/MailScanner/bayes/bayes_toks
debug: bayes: 23742 tie-ing to DB file R/O /etc/MailScanner/bayes/bayes_seen
debug: bayes: found bayes db version 2
bayes: bayes db version 2 is not able to be used, aborting! at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin/BayesStore/DBM.pm line 160.

debug: running uri tests; score so far=-2.623
Failed to compile URI SpamAssassin tests, skipping:
        (syntax error at /etc/mail/spamassassin/surbl_uri.cf, rule OB_URI_RBL,
line 1, near "eval:"
syntax error at /etc/mail/spamassassin/surbl_uri.cf, rule WS_URI_RBL, line 1,
near "eval:"
syntax error at /etc/mail/spamassassin/surbl_uri.cf, rule WS_URI_RBL, line 11,
near "}
    }"
)

I also noticed that local.cf is now under /usr/etc/mail/spamassassin instead of
/etc/mail/spamassassin. It confused SA 3 so I removed (after backup)
/etc/mail/spamassassin and the lint is fine now. Is that okay?

Thanks for any responses !!!
Marco