RPM-based install package for ClamAV and SpamAssassin 3

Remco Barendse mailscanner at barendse.to
Wed Sep 22 15:46:25 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Martin Hepworth wrote:

> Remco
>
> could always install the things from CPAN..
>
> or would that break all the RM based stuff?
>
> also is it just me (!) or do alot of people have problems with RPM
> installed perl modules, rather than hand/CPAN installed flavours?
>
> If this is the case then maybe we should be encouraging people to
> install any modules via CPAN rather than RPM????
>
> just a random post lunchtime thought...

:)

somehow this perl dependency stuff reminds me of 'dll hell' from windows
platform. There is always some other problem.

I gave up on the rpm install and tried the tarball install.

Unfortunately this doesn't help. The modules that will not install (and I
forgot several in my earlier post) are still not updated and when trying
to install by hand they complain about the same depencies :(

I found the ISBN module, but that module on it's turn fails because of
some depency problem :(

My objection to CPAN is that it often likes to run away and starts to do a
complete update of your perl installation. After that is finished you end
up with 2 different versions of perl installed on the box which causes
even more problems.....