using both MS and sendmail..

Matt Kehler mkehler at WRHA.MB.CA
Tue Sep 21 18:49:52 IST 2004

So I think I figured out my 'issue'.  Basically, I can't seem to get my RBL's to work, either with Sendmail, OR with MS.  If I go into the details of a MS message using MailWatch..the email always shows as coming from 127.0.0.1  So MS isn't aware of where the email *actually* came from, therefore doesn't do a check.  I tried binding sendmail to both 127.0.0.1 only, its IP address only, as well as both.    (this server is configured as a relay via mailertable, to push all email back onto our corporate mail server).   FYI, I'm now upgraded to MS 4-33.3

When I bind sendail to only 127.0.0.1, then MS *will* do the RBL's, as its listening on the 'real' interface.  The issue is that I am using Trend Interscan Viruswall, along with its eManager (file blocking).  What I *want* is for mail to come in, get accepted by the *real* sendmail, go through the Trend virus and file checks, THEN pass it to MailScanner, and do ITS checks.  I figured that binding sendmail to the real IP would do this...but it doesn't.   I know I can get MS to use the Trend virus scanner, but I still want to have the file attachment checking done by trends eManager as it has a great web based GUI that our helpdesk uses. So I need it in there.   Plus I'd rather have sendmail do the RBL's and reject email there, so it doesn't even have to get passed to MS and take longer.

any ideas?  I think essentially what I need to do is have sendmail listen on the real IP address, do its Trend stuff as well as RBL's via sendmail, and then pass it to MS, but via smtp.  So really MS no longer hooks into sendmail...it just sits beside it.  Or am I missing the boat here? (quite possible :)

thanks
Matt

This email and/or any documents in this transmission is intended for the
addressee(s) only and may contain legally privileged or confidential
information.  Any unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution, copying or
dissemination is strictly prohibited.  If you receive this transmission in
error, please notify the sender immediately and return the original.

Ce courriel et tout document dans cette transmission est destiné à la personne
ou aux personnes à qui il est adressé. Il peut contenir des informations
privilégiées ou confidentielles. Toute utilisation, divulgation, distribution,
copie, ou diffusion non autorisée est strictement défendue. Si vous n'êtes pas
le destinataire de ce message, veuillez en informer l'expéditeur immédiatement
et lui remettre l'original.