MailScanner 4.33.3-2 on Debian

Alex Pimperton alex at ERUS.CO.UK
Tue Sep 21 14:01:28 IST 2004

Hi

This morning I tried to update my MailScanner, running on Debian Unstable,
to 4.33.3-2 using apt.

When I try to start MailScanner after the upgrade I get several errors
relating to permissions on directories such as /var/run/MailScanner, saying
that the directory was owned by mail and not Debian-Exim.

After fixing the permissions on the directories I tried to start MailScanner
again but nothing happens.

I get the usual:

Starting mail spam/virus scanner: MailScanner.

...and then nothing. No entries in syslog, and mailscanner fails to start.

Turning on debug for both mailscanner and spamassassin fails to show
anything in the logs.

Is there a way to start mailscanner without the init.d script?

And has anybody seen this before?

Regards

Alex