Install error after updating perl

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Tue Sep 21 00:07:09 IST 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 23:54, Alan wrote:
> Today I installer perl 5.8.5 by compiling the source on my MS server. The
> install seemed to go fine, and 'perl -v' now reports the new version. This
> is the only perl on my server, I removed the prior version. When I now
> install MS from the rpm distribution, I get this error:
>
> error: failed dependencies:
>         perl >= 5.005 is needed by mailscanner-4.34.4-1
>         /usr/bin/perl   is needed by mailscanner-4.34.4-1

Thats because it works out the dependencies from the rpm database.  If
you're sure that your perl install is complete you can try passing the
nodeps option to install.sh which will probably make everything okay
(unless there is something missing in your install in which case it will
make everything very bad - but, hey, its bad already)

Any particular reason you installed perl from source on an rpm based
distro?

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000