Install error after updating perl

Alan mailscanner at ELKNET.NET
Mon Sep 20 23:54:06 IST 2004

Today I installer perl 5.8.5 by compiling the source on my MS server. The
install seemed to go fine, and 'perl -v' now reports the new version. This
is the only perl on my server, I removed the prior version. When I now
install MS from the rpm distribution, I get this error:

error: failed dependencies:
        perl >= 5.005 is needed by mailscanner-4.34.4-1
        /usr/bin/perl   is needed by mailscanner-4.34.4-1

Note that /usr/bin/perl exists:

# ls -l /usr/bin/perl
-rwxr-xr-x    3 root     root       941914 Sep 20 13:56 /usr/bin/perl

and it is a version >= 5.005

Any ideas?
Thanks!