Which hardware do you use? - Also "Should one scan interanlly sourced mail for spam?"

Pentland G. G.Pentland at SOTON.AC.UK
Sun Sep 19 04:17:07 IST 2004

Hi all,

Happy to add to this thread.

For mail from the world coming in...

3 x Dell 2650, 2 Xeons, 4Gb Ram, Redhat Enterprise Linux 3, Sendmail, Mailscanner with Sophos.

These see 300 -> 350 thousand a day and generally have no performance issues at the monent.

Internally...

3 x Dell 2550, 2 Pentium IIIs, 2Gb Ram, Redhat 7.2, Sendmail, Mailscanner Sophos etc...

These see about the same, they are also the smart hosts for outbound mail.  As these only see internally sourced mail they do not currently do spam checks.

All have Mirrored disks on hardware RAID controllers.  I don't use tmpfs as the disks are currently fast enough.  The internal machines also have localhost NIS caches.

This is an example output from one of my log processing scripts, these work on an agregated log from all 6 hosts, there is some double counting for users who have .forward files that cause the mail to move back through the routing servers.

<snip>

Total Mails                 675930
Total Viruses               9413
Total Spam                  175062

Auto-Deleted Spam           11278
Silently Deleted Viruses    2617

Found in MAPS-RBL+          99396
Found in SBL+XBL            106783
Found in DSBL               101026

</snip>

I'd like to ask anyone with an opinion...  Do you think I should scan internally origionating mail for spam?

I work on the assumption that any host sending a significant quantity of mail will be picked by other means and most hosts that do send loads of mail are sending virii not spam.

Hope this of interest and any opinions welcome,

Gary