New Guy - Bayes, MS MTRG help please?

Kevin Spicer kevin at KEVINSPICER.CO.UK
Sat Sep 18 20:21:32 IST 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 20:59, Drew Marshall wrote:

> > >  From memory the MailScanner MRTG package is designed to work
> > > with Sendmail so not all the reports 'work'
> > >

> > Ok, that explains it, thanks.  Is there any way to get it to work with
> > postfix, or should I just look for a MTRG package/configuration that
> > does postix?
> >
> As I say, 'from memory' (And I suspect that is flawed as on further
> thinking I may be getting confused with Vispan) I don't and haven't
> used MRTG to monitor MailScanner. It ought to be possible. Looking at
> the README file in the source it should be possible to get some form
> of output. If I get time I'll have a look further, unless Kevin
> himself is able to comment  :-)

I certainly am.  MSMRTG has been supporting postfix and exim for quite a
while now - in fact it was one of the first new features added when I
started maintaining it (I didn't actually write the postfix stuff
support though, Jesse Lang gets the credit for that).

Have a read through the config file
(/etc/MailScanner/mailscanner-mrtg.conf) and make sure that you have
selected postfix as the MTA and set all the paths to the correct
logfiles.  Looking at your graphs it also looks like you haven't got
snmp set up correctly, take a look at the README.SNMP for some help with
that.