New Guy - Bayes, MS MTRG help please?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Sep 18 13:43:20 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
At 20:35 17/09/2004, you wrote:
> > >spamassassin is working, its bayes stuff, etc, but cant seem
> > to get it
> > >to work.  From the command line everything appears like the bayes
> > >filtering is ok, but it never seems to hit through mailscanner.
> > >

> > Check the permissions of the bayes_* files. They must be rw
> > by the postfix user
> >

>Ok, trying that.  Yup, files are not permissioned correctly.  Fixed,
>waiting to see if it works now.

Not only do the permissions need to be right, you need to be sure you are
using the right bayes* files in the first place. When MailScanner is
running as the user "postfix", the bayes* files need to be in the
.spamassassin directory inside the user postfix's home directory.

When you are running the spamassassin script manually (or sa-learn) you are
probably running as root, not as postfix, am I right? In that case, all
your learning effort will be in the .spamassassin directory of root's home,
not of postfix's home. You might well need to move your bayes* files into
the right place (i.e. off postfix, not off root).
--
Julian Field