New Guy - Bayes, MS MTRG help please?

Ugo Bellavance ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM
Sat Sep 18 03:50:48 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
  > So far, everything has been going surprisingly well, I should have tuned
> out the anti-open source propaganda much sooner!  There are 2 minor
> issues I cant seem to find a solution for by searching the faqs,
> archives, google, etc.  I also have a nagging question about postfix and
> MS, below.

Have you read the MAQ page?  (URL below), the MailScanner Manual?
(www.fsl.com/support) or the MailScanner Book?  I think you should go
through the MAQ and the manual before putting your machine into production.

> First, MTRG.  I just installed MTRG and the MailScanner - MTRG package
>
> The other issue is Bayes filtering in spam assassin.  I've run about
> 1200 ham and 1700 spam messages through sa-learn, and when I run
> 'spamassassin -D -lint' it says the bayes database is there and happy.
> However, in /var/log/maillog where I have spam logging through
> mailscanner turned on to full so I see all the spamassassin rules that
> trigger, I don't see any bayes rules ever hit.  I see other things,
> including Razor rules in SA after installing razor last night, but still
> no bayes stuff.  I've gone through all the faqs on checking if
> spamassassin is working, its bayes stuff, etc, but cant seem to get it
> to work.  From the command line everything appears like the bayes
> filtering is ok, but it never seems to hit through mailscanner.

The correct way of testing spamassassin when used in conjuction with
MailScanner is different from what you did.

You can

1- Enable Debug Spamasssin in MailScanner.conf, set Debug to on, restart
MailScanner and see the output.

2- More simply, use the correct parameter for spamassin (-p).  Search
"lint" in the MAQ.

Hope this helps.

Welcome :) !

Ugo