New Guy - Bayes, MS MTRG help please?

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Fri Sep 17 19:56:37 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Greg Deputy wrote:

><Snip>
>
>First, MTRG.  I just installed MTRG and the MailScanner - MTRG package
>last night and it seems to be working partially.  You can see the output
>at http://greg.blastzone.com for now.  Some graphs have output, others
>don't.  For example, the 'Mail Relayed Daily Graph' isn't showing any
>mail, but there is mail going through.  Other graphs are correctly
>showing the spam and virii being filtered.  Can anyone point me in the
>direction of some troubleshooting info for the MailScanner MTRG stuff,
>or is there any info I can provide to answer questions on what might be
>broken?

 From memory the MailScanner MRTG package is designed to work with
Sendmail so not all the reports 'work'

>The other issue is Bayes filtering in spam assassin.  I've run about
>1200 ham and 1700 spam messages through sa-learn, and when I run
>'spamassassin -D -lint' it says the bayes database is there and happy.
>However, in /var/log/maillog where I have spam logging through
>mailscanner turned on to full so I see all the spamassassin rules that
>trigger, I don't see any bayes rules ever hit.  I see other things,
>including Razor rules in SA after installing razor last night, but still
>no bayes stuff.  I've gone through all the faqs on checking if
>spamassassin is working, its bayes stuff, etc, but cant seem to get it
>to work.  From the command line everything appears like the bayes
>filtering is ok, but it never seems to hit through mailscanner.

Check the permissions of the bayes_* files. They must be rw by the
postfix user

>My nagging question is about using postfix and mailscanner.  I've seen
>the posts on forums from the postfix people saying mailscanner is bad,
>DON'T use it with postfix, etc.  I've also seen responses from
>MailScanner people saying that was only the case in earlier versions, it
>works fine now, no problems, etc.  Can anyone give me a final word on
>that issue?  Is it ok?  I'm comfortable with postfix and would like to
>stick with that, but if its not stable I'll get up to speed on sendmail
>and make the switch.

Providing you have set up MailScanner with Postfix using the 'Hold
queue' method (as described) then you shouldn't have any problems.
Search the archives you will see this has been covered before (Some more
emotionally than others ;-) )

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy