New Guy - Bayes, MS MTRG help please?

Greg Deputy greg at BLASTZONE.COM
Fri Sep 17 18:44:54 IST 2004

A little background.  To be upfront, I'm a novice user with MailScanner
and all things Linux, so be warned (please be gentle).  I've been a
windows administrator and developer for close to 10 years, working
onsite at MS.  I've recently made the jump to using open source/Linux in
my side business hosting domains, email and web apps on a set of windows
servers sitting in a local datacenter.  The first thing I'm putting into
production is a MailScanner setup.

The machine is a P3 933mhz, 386Meg ram running Fedora2, Postix,
Mailscanner, Spamassassin, ClamAV, Razor, MTRG.  When the machine is
dropped in the datacenter it'll be in front of an Imail server currently
hosting about 80 domains and 500 email addresses.  The volume is light
to moderate.  It'll start by doing virus scans on all email, and spam
filtering for only few domains.

For the last week I've been running the machine in my home on a cable
connection, filtering email for a personal domain.  I'm doing that
mainly to get comfortable with running it, trying out different
settings, etc.  If something breaks, it only effects me for the moment.

So far, everything has been going surprisingly well, I should have tuned
out the anti-open source propaganda much sooner!  There are 2 minor
issues I cant seem to find a solution for by searching the faqs,
archives, google, etc.  I also have a nagging question about postfix and
MS, below.

First, MTRG.  I just installed MTRG and the MailScanner - MTRG package
last night and it seems to be working partially.  You can see the output
at http://greg.blastzone.com for now.  Some graphs have output, others
don't.  For example, the 'Mail Relayed Daily Graph' isn't showing any
mail, but there is mail going through.  Other graphs are correctly
showing the spam and virii being filtered.  Can anyone point me in the
direction of some troubleshooting info for the MailScanner MTRG stuff,
or is there any info I can provide to answer questions on what might be
broken?

The other issue is Bayes filtering in spam assassin.  I've run about
1200 ham and 1700 spam messages through sa-learn, and when I run
'spamassassin -D -lint' it says the bayes database is there and happy.
However, in /var/log/maillog where I have spam logging through
mailscanner turned on to full so I see all the spamassassin rules that
trigger, I don't see any bayes rules ever hit.  I see other things,
including Razor rules in SA after installing razor last night, but still
no bayes stuff.  I've gone through all the faqs on checking if
spamassassin is working, its bayes stuff, etc, but cant seem to get it
to work.  From the command line everything appears like the bayes
filtering is ok, but it never seems to hit through mailscanner.

My nagging question is about using postfix and mailscanner.  I've seen
the posts on forums from the postfix people saying mailscanner is bad,
DON'T use it with postfix, etc.  I've also seen responses from
MailScanner people saying that was only the case in earlier versions, it
works fine now, no problems, etc.  Can anyone give me a final word on
that issue?  Is it ok?  I'm comfortable with postfix and would like to
stick with that, but if its not stable I'll get up to speed on sendmail
and make the switch.

Thank you for your patience with this recent Linux convert, and any help
you can provide.

Greg Deputy