New server spec.

Fri Sep 17 11:31:29 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Howard

this is a little OT, but hwta extra rules are you running on the SA? If
you are running big/midevil this is probably where the performance has
gone. Setup surbl.org and the spamcop_uri plugin and you'll get the
performance back.

I also reject any unknown users at the MTA so I don't get DDOS'ed by all
the spam/virus engines using old or non-existant addresses to try and
sell/infect me their stuff.

back on topic

You don't mention how many messages to need to process...

Also why the RAID/lots of disks.

For me I'd run a couple of boxes with *maybe* a single RAID 1 set. The
you can load balance them by using the same value MX record. That way if
one box dies, you've still got the other one, and more protection and a
fancy RAID setup

Unless of course this machine merely falls into your lap as it's a spare:-)

In which case running a RAID 5 setup with 3 disks doesn't give brilliant
I/O performance, even with hardware RAID help. BUT if you can live with
aa 3 disk RAID 5 then I'd RAID1 the system disks as if you RAID 0 then
you are effectively halving the MTBF rather than adding any protection.

Just my 2pence worth..

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Howard Robinson wrote:
> Dear all,
> My Mailscanner box is struggling and is getting upto its sell by
> date - its only a matter of time before it fails.
> It looks like I may be able to get hold of a new Dell poweredge
> 2850 with 1 Xeon 3.2 ghZ processor, 4gb ram, 5x36gb SCSI disks
> and red hat enterprise advanced server V3 (with s/w support).
> I intend to run latest versions of MailScanner,sendmail, sophos,
> Spamassassin & spam cop - possibly a second virus scanner.
>
> Is the version of red hat mention the best bet for this or should I
> stick with v9? Dell don't mention SUSE as supported.
>
> Also if I go ahead should I raid 5 all the disks or do what I have with
> some MS2000 boxes and raid 0 two disk for the 'system' and raid 5
> three disks for the data? The disk space is not critical as currently
> the mailscanner box has a single 20gb disk and 512mb Ram.
>

> I'm exited but  is what I plan to do sound?
>

> Regards
>
> Howard Robinson
> (Senior Technical Development Officer)
> Harper Adams University College
> Edgmond
> Newport
> Shropshire
> TF10 8NB UK
>
> E-mail: hrobinson at harper-adams.ac.uk
> Tel.  : +44(0)1952 820280 Via switchboard
>       : +44(0)1952 815253 Direct line
> Fax.  : +44(0)1952 814783
> College Web site http://www.harper-adams.ac.uk

the system manager.