New server spec.

Howard Robinson howard at HARPER-ADAMS.AC.UK
Fri Sep 17 11:12:29 IST 2004

Dear all,
My Mailscanner box is struggling and is getting upto its sell by
date - its only a matter of time before it fails.
It looks like I may be able to get hold of a new Dell poweredge
2850 with 1 Xeon 3.2 ghZ processor, 4gb ram, 5x36gb SCSI disks
and red hat enterprise advanced server V3 (with s/w support).
I intend to run latest versions of MailScanner,sendmail, sophos,
Spamassassin & spam cop - possibly a second virus scanner.

Is the version of red hat mention the best bet for this or should I
stick with v9? Dell don't mention SUSE as supported.

Also if I go ahead should I raid 5 all the disks or do what I have with
some MS2000 boxes and raid 0 two disk for the 'system' and raid 5
three disks for the data? The disk space is not critical as currently
the mailscanner box has a single 20gb disk and 512mb Ram.

I'm exited but  is what I plan to do sound?

Regards

Howard Robinson
(Senior Technical Development Officer)
Harper Adams University College
Edgmond
Newport
Shropshire
TF10 8NB UK

E-mail: hrobinson at harper-adams.ac.uk
Tel.  : +44(0)1952 820280 Via switchboard
      : +44(0)1952 815253 Direct line
Fax.  : +44(0)1952 814783
College Web site http://www.harper-adams.ac.uk