Perl syslog problem with Solaris

Peter Bonivart peter at UCGBOOK.COM
Thu Sep 16 23:33:46 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
I'm setting up a new system to go along with a previous one. Both are
Solaris 9 on Fire V210 servers. The difference is that the old one runs
MS 4.32 and Perl 5.8.0 while the new one has MS 4.33 and Perl 5.8.5.

So far I have only seen the problem with Clams update script that
utilizes Sys::Syslog which produces nothing on the new system. Using the
logger command works fine so the wrapper script logs that Clam is found
but I get no logs from Clams own script about the result of the update.

I ran it directly to get all output and got this:

root at ajax[root]# date
Thu Sep 16 17:22:41 CEST 2004
root at ajax[root]# /usr/local/bin/perl ./clamav-autoupdate
unix dgram connect: Socket operation on non-socket at
./clamav-autoupdate line
53
no connection to syslog available at ./clamav-autoupdate line 53
root at ajax[root]# tail -1 /var/log/syslog
Sep 16 17:20:59 ajax ClamAV-autoupdate[25059]: ClamAV did not need updating

Note that nothing was written to the log (last line was from a previous
test, see timestamp).

I then changed the connection method from unix to udp in the script and
it works:

root at ajax[root]# date
Thu Sep 16 17:23:44 CEST 2004
root at ajax[root]# /usr/local/bin/perl ./clamav-autoupdate
root at ajax[root]# tail -1 /var/log/syslog
Sep 16 17:23:47 ajax ClamAV-autoupdate[25076]: ClamAV did not need updating

Now I get the log message and no error message. Nothing is messed with
in /etc/syslog.conf and syslogd is not started with -t which has caused
trouble for some others.

Since the Clam script has not changed between 4.32 and 4.33 I have to
assume something is different between Perl 5.8.0 and 5.8.5.

I will investigate more tomorrow but would like some input from people.
I know Solaris admins have posted here before complaining about
syslogging but I didn't pay much attention to it since I never
experienced any problems myself.

Julian? Will I have to change this in more places for MS own logging to
work? Could the default be changed to udp without breaking stuff for
others? Could it be configurable if different systems need different
settings?

--
/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun