Merging Configurations ...

paddy paddy at PANICI.NET
Thu Sep 16 13:23:39 IST 2004

Julian,

Thanks for responding.  Especially when this seems so FAQ.

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 09:09:20PM +0100, Julian Field wrote:
> Have you looked at rulesets? They are explained in the MAQ (address at the
> bottom of every posting), the files in /etc/MailScanner/rules and in The
> Book.

Yes.  I already use rulesets.  Rulesets are great, I recommend them to all
my friends (okay then, both of them).  Rulesets *by themselves*, don't solve
the problem I'm considering, which is how to delegate *some* control to
other admins and even users - a *user* interface (admin interface is already great).

That is unless I missed something.  I just re-read the MAQ/FAQ. I don't
have the book, yet.  I do use the source. I still miss things.
Stubbornly so sometimes.

I'm *not* suggesting that this is a problem that MailScanner should solve,
to the contrary in fact.  I'm not even advocating it as a good idea.

As much as anything, I found the search for a way to get at %StaticScalars etc.
tantalising and frustrating and I'm hoping to either confirm
"you can't access lexicals from outside" or learn the wicked magic that does so!

But also I'm hoping that I've missed a posting on howto use the new ldap
configuration stuff that does all the hard work so I don't have to! :)
Them I can go away and play with that.

Who knows, maybe even get a little feedback from other users and yourself
on the very idea of an *end-user* interface and possible implementations.

Regards,

Paddy