Truncated long subject lines

Sheila Coyazo scoyazo at ISI.EDU
Thu Sep 16 01:16:18 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Hi,

We've gotten customer complaints because MailScanner appears to be
truncating very long subject lines under certain circumstances.

When a message has a subject line that a) is continued on a second line
(i.e., contains a LF or CR) and b) has a space at the end of the _first_
line of the subject, the subject line is truncated at the end of the first
line as it passes through MailScanner.  For multi-line subjects with _no_
space at the end of the first line, the subject line is not truncated.

We've tested this on a couple different versions of MailScanner, including
4.33.3-1, and it happens every time.  On servers that aren't running
MailScanner, the subject lines aren't truncated.

Any hints on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Sheila Coyazo
USC-Information Sciences Institute