MailScanner insecurity with Postfix

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Wed Sep 15 09:20:43 IST 2004

On Wed, September 15, 2004 8:21, Forrest Aldrich said:
> Someone recently mentioned on the postfix-users list that Mailscanner is
> not secure to run with Postfix.   I can't recal whom this was, but
> perhaps someone here could comment on this?

Having run MS with Postfix now for as long as it's been available (Can't
remember exactly but at least 12 months and more like 18) and some of that
on some very old kit, I can say that not only does it work but stability
and security (Of data) are great. I have had all sorts of hardware
failures (CPU, RAM, HDD) and the one thing that I could rely on was that
once the crashed hardware was fixed (With the exception of the HDD, which
shattered making data recovery more difficult!), life went on as if
nothing had happened. No message loss or corruption. Even when half my
network was not working properly, mail still was delivered with only a
slight increase in the spam levels due to RBL lookups failing.

Personally, MailScanner works with Postfix and works well.

<Rose tinted glasses>

It's a shame that the Postfix development team won't recognise MS fully
and work to make the software combination better as they share a common
theme of constant development with very active creators and authors, well
documented and easy to configure config files and a desire to make the
best and most secure software available.

</Rose tinted glasses>

Regards

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous