definition: messages per month?

Mon Sep 13 09:10:08 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Eric

I keep my email gateway on a separate machine, if the gateway machine
gets compromised then all youe email is hosed, cf putting www server on
a separate machine/DMZ.

I tend to look at a couple of 'core' uses for our stats, ie the one how
tend to get alot of spam, and corelate full population stats from them.

Also 100% spam trap is almost impossible to achieve without FP's rate
being too high (ie getting FP's), I'd rather a couple of spams creep
though than miss the odd spam..

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 09:31:32AM +0100, Martin Hepworth wrote:
>
>>Eric
>>I always use the 'envelopes' per month version myself...ie how many
>>actual messages (qf,df pairs - or whatever your MTA uses to store
>>messages in the queue) are processed.
>>Otherwise the stats go up the wall - hey my MS processed 2 billion
>>messages last month, when actually it only  processed two MTA queue file
>>message pairs!!!
>>I'm not concerned that a message had multiple recipients, I'm concerned
>>about the actual number of messages, which has a direct correlation to
>>the performance and size of the hardware required.
>

> Ok. this helps. One other concern with regard to hardware and
> performance ... imapd/pop access is on the same server here as
> smtp/mailscanner. In other's experience is user access to mail spools
> a performance concern? If so, then it might be interesting to keep
> counts for messages spooled to users' mailboxes and actually accessed or
> downloaded by MUAs as well as counts of messages scanned.
>

> I haven't seen anyone address the question of false positive/negative
> stats, yet. If someone claims "our mailscanner install blocks 98.6% of
> spam", how can they actually know that? Can you verify that every user
> has reported every miss in either direction?
>
> Or, are people quoting percentages like that based on sending a corpus
> of known ham/spam through the system?
>
> -Eric Rz.

the system manager.