Mailscanner allocating swap memory space and not freeing it?

Kai Schaetzl maillists at CONACTIVE.COM
Sat Sep 11 14:33:08 IST 2004

During the last few days I have seen several occasions where SA timed out
(and I'm sure it is RBLs), so that MS couldn't add a score and delivered
the messages as clean. It's always accompanied by those "attempt 1 of 20"
messages (never higher than that).
After investigating I found that if that occurs our swap space is heavily
in use although there's still plenty of RAM available. "heavily in use"
means that top and free show 200 or more MB of swap space in use while
that usually is near nothing. As an example:

Mem:        514948     364916     150032          0      13400      51128
-/+ buffers/cache:     300388     214560
Swap:       514040     261756     252284

Also, an "sa-learn -D --sync" takes a long time, around two minutes (which
explains the time-out). I didn't check the size of the journal file the
first time I forced the sync, but this time I did and it was at 170 MB (!)
(almost ten times higher than the bayes db itself). I'd think that's
impossible on a machine with only a few thousand mails arriving per day.
Looks like a problem with the journal in SA 3.0. That also explains why it
cuts into the swap space. What it doesn't explain is why that space isn't
freed up after the time-out. It gets only freed when I restart
MailScanner.
Before I post this to sa-talk I wanted to check here what MailScanner
actually does when SA notices a --sync is needed (I assume it does one
each day?) and why the swap space isn't redeemed after that.

Kai

--

Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany