definition: messages per month?

Fractal IT Dept. itdept at FRACTALWEB.COM
Sat Sep 11 02:20:21 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:

>I haven't seen anyone address the question of false positive/negative
>stats, yet. If someone claims "our mailscanner install blocks 98.6% of
>spam", how can they actually know that? Can you verify that every user
>has reported every miss in either direction?
>
>Or, are people quoting percentages like that based on sending a corpus
>of known ham/spam through the system?

We have some "fake" accounts that have been seeded on newsgroups and
such that receive a lot of spam. Of course, the accounts never receive
actual email. Using a program like MailWatch, it's very easy to run a
report on such an account and see that the account received 1938
messages, of which 3 messages were not tagged as spam. Therefore, doing
the math, MailScanner on my server is about 99.85% efficient at blocking
spam...at least on that account.

Cheers,
Chris