Message-ID matching

Mathias Koerber Mathias.Koerber at LIGHTSPEED.COM.SG
Fri Sep 10 05:45:47 IST 2004

        Date:         Sat, 4 Sep 2004 16:02:30 -0500
        From:         Alex Neuman van der Hans <alex at NKPANAMA.COM>
        Subject:      Re: Message-ID matching

        You can try the "bogus virus warnings" SpamAssassin rules. Works pretty
        well most of the time.

That may help some, but I am more after a generic solution which makes
MailScanner remember the Message-IDs of messages sent out, so that replies
that carry these in the references/in-reply-to are scored as much more
likely being genuine than apparent replies which carry unknown Message-IDs.

any hints?

All I think would be required is

a) a hook into MailScanner recording the Message-ID of outgoing messages
   (just before handing them back to sendmail)
b) a hook somewhere in the checking routine to check incoming messages
   against known Ids (and a way to specify rules how to handle matches/
   non-matches)
c) some form of maintenance tool to purge the DB every now and then
   (unless it can be a circular buffer overwriting the oldest entry
   when full by itself).

Secondly, many of the bounces we get are not virus warnings, but bounces
because some virus somewhere sent email to nonexistent users/domains
using a forged from: in our domain. From my cursory inspection the
bogus virus warnings rules do not conver that..

--
Mathias Körber
mathias at lightspeed.com.sg