definition: messages per month?

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at RFA.ORG
Thu Sep 9 23:09:05 IST 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 02:49:06PM -0700, Fractal IT Dept. wrote:
> Michele Neylon : Blacknight Solutions wrote:
>
> >I'd go by whatever the SQL logging says :)
> >

> That's what I was going by, using Mailwatch. But that doesn't seem to
> take into account the extra recipients when there are multiples.

I've been meaning to ask about the semantics of this myself for
sometime. Since I'm about to run some stats for August (yes, I'm a
little behind ... I was out sick most of last week) now's as a good a
time as any.

In addition to whether to count mails received or mails delivered, I've
wondered how others come up with percentages of viruses, spams and other
nasties caught. Obviously, I know how many were caught. But, I have to
rely soley on user reports of false-positives and false-negatives for
percentages missed. I know most of our users don't give us reports, so
how can I even estimate these percentages? How do the various stats
scripts and packages come up with numbers like these?

And then, if something gets blocked or deleted, do you count how many
people would have gotten it? or does each blocked mail count only once
since it wasn't split out for delivery?

I get all confused trying to keep this straight for myself. It's even
worse trying to explain it to management.

-Eric Rz.