Problems with attachments on forwarded emails

Chris Scheib chris at SCHWEEB.ORG
Thu Sep 9 17:29:50 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
I am having problems with attachments contained in forwarded emails sent
through mailscanner.

For example, I have a fax server that sends an email to the user with
the fax attached as a TIF file.  Some of my users may forward this
message to another user in the company.  Their client, which is either
Mozilla Thunderbird or Microsoft Outlook, is set to forward this email
w/ the TIF, as an attachment.

When the recpient goes to read this forwarded email, the message they
receive shows the body with whatever comments the forwardee may have
added, and the attachment containing the original message.  When you
double click the attached original email, you see the entirety of the
original email, but you see it raw.  Headers, body, and attachment, all raw.

When the user's client is set to forward messages Inline, the message
goes through fine, albeit with the body of the old message inline, and
the TIF attached to the main email.

The best guess I can come up with is that MailScanner is somehow
mangling the MIME boundaries somewhere along the process.  I have tried
this process numerous times on mail servers not filtering using
MailScanner, and forwarding attached messages works perfectly.

Software Info:
        Debian Linux Sarge/Testing
        MailScanner 4.33.3-1
        Postfix 2.1.3-1
        Procmail 3.22-9
        SpamAssassin 2.64-1
        F-Prot Virus Scanner

I can attach some sample emails if necessary, although I'll have to put
them in an archive of some sort so that they don't get mangled further.

Thanks,
   Chris Scheib
   chris at schweeb.org