Suggested addition to default filename and filetype rules

James Gray james_gray at OCS.COM
Thu Sep 9 06:50:58 IST 2004

Maybe it's just our site, but was there a reason Windows Media files were left
out when Quicktime/MPEG/etc were included for denial?

For the archives, here's what we have in our (modified) rules:

<<< filename.rules.conf >>>
# Deny Windows Media etc
deny  \.wm[adsvz]   Windows Media Format    We don't allow Windows Media Files
deny  \.w[av]x      Windows Media Format    No Windows media metafile links
deny  \.as[fx]      Windows Media Format    We don't allow Windows Media Files

<<< filetype.rules.conf >>>
deny  ASF           No Windows Media        No Windows Media files allowed

As always, fields are separated by *TABS*.

After files have been modified, restart MailScanner.  Voila - bye-bye Windows
media :)  BTW, I realise I could probably write a nice funky regex to combine
all the various incantations of wma/wmd/.../wvx but I figured three rules
wouldn't drastically hit the performance.

Cheers,

James