reverse MCP

Remco Barendse mailscanner at BARENDSE.TO
Wed Sep 8 21:55:11 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Julian Field wrote:

> At 21:24 08/09/2004, you wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 09:38:55PM +0200, Remco Barendse wrote:
>>> Why would you want to do that?
>>>
>>> I guess it would be easier to create a sort rule in your MUA or create
>>> different mailboxes and subscribe to each mailinglist with a different
>>> e-mail address. I use several mailboxes, especially high volume lists are
>>> extremely annoying to have between your regular mail.
>>
>> Oh, of course that would be very annoying. I already use procmail to
>> filter each list to it's own box, usually based on the List-id: header
>> or equivalent.
>>
>> My interest is in weeding out everything that isn't relevant to me. For
>> instance, and purely for example, if I were subscribed to an extremely
>> high volume list like the linux kernel mailing list I could settup MCP
>> rules and scores for various keywords or phrases of interest to me:
>> specific drivers, filesystems, netfilter changes, etc. Messages with
>> lots of keywords or phrases pertinent to me would score high and
>> messages lacking pertinence would score low. Then I could define ranges
>> of scores in procmailrc to get prioritized mboxes.
>>
>> Julian, does the MCP SA include bayes support? If so it could be trained
>> to recognized the probability of pertinence. :)
>
> No, fraid not. But I think if you configured it correctly, you should be
> able to force it to put the bayes db files in a different directory, at
> which point you would be able to do it.
> Just never tried it myself...

Would bayes be the suitable tool for that? If you are interested in
kernel+scsi stuff this month but next month you decide that sata stuff is
more interesting you end up with mails about scsi stuff stil scoring high.

I very much like the idea of this but guess that statically assigned rules
will be better? Unless your favourite topics never change ofcourse. :)