process <defunct>

No Name egtswnzxkeec at spammotel.com
Mon Sep 6 21:59:28 IST 2004

>>Don't worry, this is normal. The <defunct> processes only stay around for a
>>seond or two. You may find, if you watch them, that the PIDs of the
>><defunct> processes keep changing, i.e. they are actually different defunct
>>processes. This enables MailScanner to run measurably faster than sorting
>>all the old processes out one at a time.

But in my situation the <defunct> processes seem to stay forever.
The system is newly setup and I only sent a few testmessages through it
however there for every message sent a new <defunct> process was
added. I just sent eight testmessages and after that I had 14 Mailscanner
processes and eigth of them were <defunct>.

Sorry for beeing so persistent, but I simply want to get sure that I
will not be faced by any ressource leaks when getting productive.

Thank's again.
Frank.