install postfix

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Sun Sep 5 19:06:32 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Matthijs Althoff wrote:

>After a upgrade to Fecore core 2 and a newer sendmail 8.12.11 and a total
>re-install and still incoming and outgoing double (sometimes even more)
>messages I'm starting to get annoyed with sendmail. I'm tempted to go for
>postix but this will bring some huge changes in a multi domain envoirement
>with mail coming in from pop accounts and bsmtp, mailman list for
>scout/guide troop and mailscanner with spamassassin. I'm looking into all
>the matters before I consider to change or not I have looked at the
>mailscanner.conf file for relations to postfix this would be the changes or
>are there more to consider?
>
># User to run as (not normally used for sendmail)
># If you want to change the ownership or permissions of the quarantine or
># temporary files created by MailScanner, please see the "Incoming Work"
># settings later in this file.
>#Run As User = mail
>#Run As User = postfix
>Run As User =
>
># Group to run as (not normally used for sendmail)
>#Run As Group = mail
>#Run As Group = postfix
>Run As Group =
>
># Set whether to use postfix, sendmail, exim or zmailer.
># If you are using postfix, then see the "SpamAssassin User State Dir"
># setting near the end of this file
>MTA = postfix
>
># If you are using Postfix you may well need to use some of the settings
># below, as the home directory for the "postfix" user cannot be written
># to by the "postfix" user.
># You may also need to use these if you have installed SpamAssassin
># somewhere other than the default location.
>
># The per-user files (bayes, auto-whitelist, user_prefs) are looked
># for here and in ~/.spamassassin/. Note the files are mutable.
># If this is unset then no extra places are searched for.
># If using Postfix, you probably want to set this as shown in the example
># line at the end of this comment, and do
>#      mkdir /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin
>#      chown postfix.postfix /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin
>#SpamAssassin User State Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin
>SpamAssassin User State Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin

That's about it for MS. I too run multi-domain, with Mailman (Ironically
for a few Scout mailing lists :-) ) and have no problems at all with
Postfix. I have found it nice and simple to set up with a MySQL database
driving the user, transport, virtual user maps. Just remember that
unlike Sendmail, Postfix trusts no-one so all files that MS might
manipulate (Queue, quarantine, bayes etc) all need to be owned by the
Postfix user. This is normally one large area for 'sillys' to creep into.

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy