mailscanner configuration oversight

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at RFA.ORG
Fri Sep 3 19:07:24 IST 2004

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 11:48:13AM -0600, darwin wrote:
> I found your explanation excellent - I hope
> you don't mind me contacting you off list.
>
> I have followed the setups as outlined at
> http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/postfix.shtml
>
> I have this crazy thing running now (Thanks to Julian)
> but  as I monitor the /var/log/maillog I see MailScanner
> pick up messages from /var/spool/postfix/hold
> and it seems to process them - but it never passes
> them on to the postfix/incoming...
>
> It goes thru the cycle over and over all the time
> accumulating more messages in the que and re-scanning
> the same messages over and over but never passing them
> to postfix/incoming.
>
> I have obviously missed something -

I don't necessarily mind the offlist message, but you'll have access to
far more minds if you keep stuff on list. :) I recommend you keep a list,
preferably the mailscanner list, in the cc. That way, if I'm not
available you will most likely get a much quicker response. And anyway,
my employer pays me to run its servers, not yours. ;) (tongue-in-cheek,
just joking, wink-wink, nudge-nudge, don't get offended, etc, etc. :) )
btw, I sent my message to three lists ... which one did you get it from?

My first guess would be the permissions on your postfix directories.
Make sure they are owned by and accessible to postfix and that
MailScanner is configured to run as postfix.

Since you mention the hold queue, you must be using postfix 2.x and a
single instance of postfix. I haven't yet done a set up like that.
postfix in debian woody (stable release) is an older version that did
not have the hold queue and we don't run testing on production boxes. I
do have a debian testing box at home and intend to set up a single
postfix mailscanner installation there, but it is a work in progress.

One thing to try is turning on debugging for MailScanner. This is an
option in your MailScanner.conf file. Once set the next invocation of
mailscanner will not spawn any children and will run for only one batch
while it spits out a ton of debug info to the console. Your problem
should be fairly evident from that.

-Eric Rz.