PostFix Transport (2 destination or more for a domain)

Lindsay Snider lindsay at pa.net
Fri Sep 3 18:35:41 IST 2004

On Friday 03 September 2004 01:11 pm, Mailing List wrote:
> When using PostFix (With MailScanner) is it possible in the
> TransportFile to tel that for mycompany.com there is 2 SMTP server that
> could be contacted ?

I'd suggest this is more of a question for the postfix list at
postfix-users at postfix.org.

> We must redirect eMails to an ISP who has several mx, but some time some
> of those mx (maiServer) won't answer because they use some kind of Load
> Balancing solution.

postfix will try more than one mx server.  If the ISP has an mx record for
each of its servers which is to receive email, the mail should get delivered
w/o delay even if one or more of the servers are down.

One note w/ postfix's virtual transports:

the following sends to the ip resolved w/i '[ ]':
domain.tld               smtp:[mailserver.domain.tld]

the following sends to the mx records of domain.tld:
domain.tld               smtp:domain.tld

Notice that putting a domain.tld in braces signified postfix to not use the mx
records.