silent fail: suggestion for fix

David Lee t.d.lee at DURHAM.AC.UK
Fri Sep 3 15:07:26 IST 2004

I've just spent a little time head-scratching a "silent fail" type of
problem with MailScanner.

When "MailScanner.conf" includes "clamavmodule" in its "Virus Scanners",
but the perl installation doesn't actually have "clamavmodule", MS
silently fails.  There is no indication of failure on the command line,
and the syslog file simply contains multiple lines "MailScanner E-Mail
Virus Scanner version 4.33.3 starting...".  The only other hints are that
there is only one MailScanner process (instead of building up towards the
usual 5+) and that nothing gets removed from the incoming queue.

Ultimately, I put MS into Debug mode.  That revealed the problem:
   Can't locate Mail/ClamAV.pm in @INC (...) at ... SweepViruses.pm line 413.

It would be nice if this could be revealed in normal mode for the average
user, not requiring head-scratching and Debug mode.

In "sub InitialiseClam { }", could the "require Mail::ClamAV;" be adjusted
to print out (syslog?) any failure that occurs?

Incidentally, a little lower "sub InitialiseSAVI { }" has an apparently
similarly unguarded "require SAVI;".

Hope that helps.

Julian: if you produce a patch (or suggest an idea to me), I'd be happy to
test it.