whitelisting not working with "always report"?

Dustin Baer dustin.baer at IHS.COM
Fri Sep 3 14:41:50 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Kai Schaetzl wrote:

>Dustin Baer wrote:
>

>>Adding an address to spam.whitelist.rules will still be checked for
>>spam, just not quarantined if above minimum score, and thus still give
>>you a report.
>>
>This is not how I understood the "Is Definitely Not Spam" option. It
>doesn't make any sense to me to scan a message where I know already before
>doing it that it's not spam. What for should I scan it?

Perhaps to see what is being hit upon by SpamAssassin, not be marked as
{Spam?}, and be delivered, all by using one rule entry, rather than three.

Our marketing department sends HTML email to customers.  When they
(marketing) test their emails, they send them through our server, which
will give a SpamAssassin score.  Since I have them in
spam.whitelist.rules, but not in SpamChecks.rules, then they can see
what their score is and what is triggering the score, even if it above
the normal quarantine threshold.

>There's the SA
>whitelisting which adds -100 if someone really wants to scan all messages.

Okay.  I don't use it, since I set everything in MailScanner.  No sense
in trying to figure out where I have things set, if I can do it all in
one place.

>Adding another whitelisting in MS doesn't make any sense unless it avoids
>the scanning phase.

Depends on what you want.

>That's also what the comments in the MailScanner.conf
>file suggest to me and what I know from experience with milters.

There are two different points:

1.  spam.whitelist.rules = "*never* be marked as spam," whether checks
are done, or not
2.  Spam Checks = check for spam, or don't check for spam

It is a bit confusing, and I had the same situation as you a long time
ago, but once I figured what option does what, I was satisfied with what
is happening and even like the fact that I can see a high spam score,
but still have an address whitelisted.

Dustin
--
Dustin Baer