clamav rpm update doesn't work

Remco Barendse mailscanner at BARENDSE.TO
Fri Sep 3 11:51:32 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Julian Field wrote:

> At 11:21 03/09/2004, you wrote:
>>>
>>> Have you still got the copy under /usr/local/ ? Is the wrapper using
>>> that? When you try the wrapper, do you add the path defined in
>>> virus.scanners.conf as the first argument to the wrapper? If not, then I
>>> think the wrapper uses the path or something like that? I've got bitten
>>> by this before both when fiddling with Sophos locations and moving from
>>> clam tar to clam .deb.

>>> Change the conf file. Do what Julian says - he's the boss!! ;-)
>>
>> Lol!
>>
>> I'm not sure about the directory. To remove the tyhe tarball I did a
>> locate -i clam and removed every match to that. Guess that should have
>> eradicated all files from the tarball version :)
>>
>> When I do locate -i now it shows (doc stuff omitted):
>> /var/log/clamav
>> /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log
>> /var/log/clamav/clamav.log
>> /var/run/clamav
>> /var/clamav
>> /var/clamav/main.cvd
>> /var/clamav/daily.cvd
>> /etc/rc.d/init.d/clamd
>> /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K39clamd
>> /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/K39clamd
>> /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S61clamd
>> /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/K39clamd
>> /etc/rc.d/rc4.d/S61clamd
>> /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S61clamd
>> /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K39clamd
>> /etc/cron.daily/freshclam
>> /etc/logrotate.d/freshclam
>> /etc/logrotate.d/clamav
>> /etc/freshclam.conf
>> /etc/clamav.conf
>> /usr/share/man/man1/clamscan.1.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man1/freshclam.1.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man1/clamdscan.1.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man5/freshclam.conf.5.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man5/clamav.conf.5.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man8/clamd.8.gz
>> /usr/sbin/clamd
>> /usr/bin/clamscan
>> /usr/bin/freshclam
>> /usr/bin/clamav-config
>> /usr/bin/clamdscan
>> /usr/include/clamav.h
>> /usr/lib/pkgconfig/libclamav.pc
>> /usr/lib/MailScanner/clamav-autoupdate
>> /usr/lib/MailScanner/clamav-wrapper
>> /usr/lib/libclamav.so.1
>> /usr/lib/libclamav.so.1.0.4
>> /usr/lib/libclamav.a
>> /usr/lib/libclamav.so
>> /usr/local/bin/freshclam  (this is the symlink i created  ->
>> /usr/bin/freshclam)
>>
>> I wonder why the wrapper script still works but the update doesn't.
>
> Are you trying to run the update on its own, and not just letting the
> update_virus_scanners cron job do it for you? If so, you need to put
> /usr/lib/MailScanner/clamav-autoupdate /usr

No, I goofed up and forgot to remove freshclam from cron. Normally I let
MailScanner do the updating. But I guess that freshclam being still in
cron is not the reason why scanning will work from MS but updating fails?

My guess is that with the clamav rpm the clam binaries are found by
mailscanner but the update script is in a different place than the
tarball?