solaris and logging

Stephen Lee lee at SJU.EDU
Thu Sep 2 18:28:57 IST 2004

Hi,

I'm one of those running solaris and each time I upgrade OS or
MailScanner there seems to be a problem with logging. I just set up a
new system and the problem cropped up again. I got logging working and
wanted to share my solution with the other solaris admins.

original box
solaris 9
mailscanner 4.25-14
perl 5.6.1

this system started logging after I changed
/opt/Mailscanner/lib/Mailscanner/Log.pm. to make this line execute
Sys::Syslog::setlogsock('stream'); I found that info in the archives.
There is a patch which makes the change for you.

My new box
solaris 9
mailscanner 4.32.5
perl 5.8.3

this system would not log even after the above change. I found something
in perldocs.com which caused me to try this change to the same file.
i changed this
use Sys::Syslog;
to this
use Sys::Syslog qw (:DEFAULT setlogsock);

both systems are now logging.

Good luck with solaris,
Steve
--
Stephen J. Lee                  Saint Joseph's University
Senior Systems Administrator    5600 City Avenue