Particular emails forcing SA timeouts

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu Sep 2 18:01:02 IST 2004

Mr. Hepworth,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Hepworth" <martinh at SOLID-STATE-LOGIC.COM>
To: <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2004 12:46 PM
Subject: Re: Particular emails forcing SA timeouts

> Mr Campbell (or may I call you Steve!)

Steve is fine.

> yes the timeout periods can help, but my question is *why* are you
> getting timeouts.

"Why" is sort of my original issue. As I don't generally get timeouts, I was
wondering if something wasn't causing this by these particular emails,
especially since everyone of them receives a timeout.

> Which RBL's are you using? have you considered a zone transfer of the
> RBL's to ensure 'reachbility'?

I have considered it, but have not implemented or really needed it. I guess
that's kind of selfish, using unnecessary bandwidth all the time.

> As I've said before on previous threads I'm only using surbl.org (for
> the URI scanning) and the spamcop-xbl (as a true RBL). I run a local
> caching DNS server on the MS host and see very very few timeouts. When I
> have lots of RBL's (the SA default if you turn on RBLS) I get lots of
> timeouts and as consequence lots of spam leaks through.

I am using the default SA RBLs + surbl.org. I could consider turning some of
these off if this persists. It seems like there are so many that contribute
such a small amount to the score, that a few less wouldn't make that much
impact on the spam/not spam total.

> Oh and I also have a bandwidth guarantee on my DNS queries that bounce
> up to my ISP for resolution, but looking at the traffic that doesn't
> seem to make much difference.

A luxury we here can't afford, I'm sure.

> --
> Martin Hepworth
> Snr Systems Administrator
> Solid State Logic
> Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300

Again, thank you for the time and efforts.

Steve Campbell
campbell at cnpapers.com
Charleston Newspapers