good basic setup for mailscanner and spam assassin

Thu Sep 2 16:47:26 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Dave

leave the Spam List blank and add any into spam.assassin.prefs.conf,
infinite monkeys has been dead for ages and SA is better for using RBL's
then MS as it adds to the score rather than MS's way of completely
blocking if it finds a match.

I posted my RBL settings last week - look in the archives..

I'd setup bayes too, and install the spamcop-uri plugin from www.surbl.org.

after that's been playing nicely for a few days, have a look at the
extra rules in www.rulesemporium.com for some nice add ins that are very
good at catching stuff the default SA config misses.

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

David Ballengee wrote:
> Just stated using mail scanner, and spam assassin.  What is a general good
> setup to start filtering spam.
>
> right now here are my setting for
>
> MailScanner.conf
>
> Spam Checks = yes
>
> Spam List = ORDB-RBL Infinite-Monkeys
>
> Spam List Timeout = 10
>
> Is Definitely Not Spam = /etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.whitelist.rules
>
> Use SpamAssassin = yes
>
> Max SpamAssassin Size = 50000
>
> Required SpamAssassin Score = 7
>
> SpamAssassin Auto Whitelist = no
>
> SpamAssassin Prefs File = /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
>
> SpamAssassin Timeout = 30
>
> Check SpamAssassin If On Spam List = yes
>
> Always Include SpamAssassin Report = no
>

> spam.assassin.prefs.conf
>
> skip_rbl_checks 1

the system manager.