4.33.3: more defaults to change

Mariano Absatz el.baby at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 13:49:34 IST 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 11:44:52 -0800, Kevin Miller
<kevin_miller at ci.juneau.ak.us> wrote:
> Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
> > Well, I can clearly see the accent over the first "a", the tilde over
> > the second "a", and that little hangy-down squiggle under the "c" with
> > my ISO-8859-1 setup.  So ISO-8859-1 must be doing something right.
> > I took three years of French and can't remember what that mark under
> > the "c" is called anymore.
> >

> I must be missing something.  My MailScanner.conf is set to us-ascii, and I
> can also see the same accent characters.  I copyied the post to a text file
> and sent it to myself both in the body and as an attachment and both were
> visible.  Interestingly, the charset in the mime boundery headers (or
> whatever they're called) said:
>
> --Message-Boundary-6059
>
> --Message-Boundary-6059
>
> --Message-Boundary-6059--
>
> so it was picking up the iso-8859-1 charset anyway.  Go figure.  Is this
> something the mail client usually sets, or the MTA, or what?  I can
> experiment further but I'm not sure where I ought to be looking to make
> changes.  As nearly as I can tell here it's all a wash.  The mail flow looks
> like this:
>
> Outlook <---> Exchange 5.5 <---> MailScanner/Sendmail <---> Internet

The Content-Type: header is a MIME thing. MIME is a MUA 'protocol' (as
well as RFC822 is).

That is, it is usually set and understood by the MUA, in your case, Outlook.

The settings in MailScanner are related to messages generated WITHIN
MailScanner, e.g. a bounce, a message telling you you received a
virus, etc. In those cases MailScanner is acting as a kind of
automatic MUA... supposedly, a 'pure' smtp MTA should not modify the
content or the headers of a message (with minor exceptions, like
adding trace fields).

--
Mariano Absatz - El Baby
el (dot) baby (AT) gmail (dot) com