Whitelist problem

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Sep 2 08:45:42 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
At 02:01 02/09/2004, you wrote:
>Hey all,
>
>Sorry if this has been covered before, but I have a question regarding
>whitelisting.  Email generated by the server (virus alerts etc) are sent
>to my email address, but some of them get marked as spam.  I want to be
>able to whitelist everything coming from the server, but if an email is
>sent with a spoofed address of 127.0.0.1 it will automatically be
>whitelisted.  Is there a way around this?

Don't whitelist localhost, whitelist the IP 127.0.0.1. Unless they are
spoofing the IP address at the client end of the TCP connection they can't
change this value.

If they are up to spoofing IP addresses on TCP connections (which is hard),
then you have bigger problems than just a few mail messages :-(
--
Julian Field