Message-ID matching

Mathias Koerber Mathias.Koerber at LIGHTSPEED.COM.SG
Thu Sep 2 05:56:49 IST 2004

Hi MailScanner gurus,

I am getting very frustrated by the many bounce-messages we receive
which are in response to some virus elsewhere using our email addresses
in the From: headers.

Is there a way (in MailScanner) to
        a) have MailScanner record the message-id of all outgoing emails
           passing though it
        b) matching certain incoming emails, such as bounces against
           that list and acting differently according to whether the
           original mail was known or not

formail -D does have a facility to record message-IDs, but I believe
calling formail on every outgoing email may be quite heavy, and we are
still lacking a facility to check the database on incoming emails.

Also, some tool will be required to clean out the database regularly,
unless like in formail the database can be of limited size and
old records get lost when the database fills up.

Has anyone implemented such a facility in Mailscanner yet?

Any hints where I should start looking if I wanted to try this
myself (ie, where are the hooks etc)
--
Mathias Körber
mathias at lightspeed.com.sg