[OT] HTML emails

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Sep 1 09:28:32 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
At 09:16 01/09/2004, you wrote:
>Michele Neylon :: Blacknight Solutions wrote:
>>Is there anyway that the list could disable HTML emails?
>
>My recollection of discussions with the JISCMail team in relation to
>other lists I (co)manage, I seem to recall that they do have an option
>to refuse HTML messages outright. It's up to Julian to decide whether
>that's a line he wants to take. IIRC, what they can't do is strip out
>the HTML version and leave the plain-text one (assuming there is one)
>which would be nice...

I would rather not refuse HTML outright. One of the advantages of
MailScanner over other competing packages is that it is easier to install
and manage. As a result, there are some very inexperienced people using
MailScanner, who don't understand the problem of HTML in digests and
probably never will. I would not like to exclude those people from being
able to ask for help on the list. Never forget that we all had to start
somewhere. The more people using MailScanner to protect themselves and
others, the better. We should not exclude anyone from taking part in a
discussion or from asking for help from the more experienced among us.

>>They're a real PITA
>
>In general I agree. I gather they're a real nightmare for people who
>take the list in digest form...

I agree with this, but we shouldn't exclude people because they "don't
understand".
--
Julian Field