Crontab job problem

Ugo Bellavance ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM
Thu Oct 28 15:24:25 IST 2004

Billy Pumphrey wrote:
> I went and did it, I messed up the Cron jobs that happen, trying to figure
> out they work and so on.  I might just have the crons fixed but my log watch
> is messed up.  I found out that log watch already has a filter for
> mailscanner, as I didn't even know what a filter was.  Anyway..here are the
> details, any help is greatly apprecitated.
>

> --------------------- crontab
>
> I did a (logged in as root) crontab -L before anything was messed up and
> here is what it said:
> [root at MailScanner cron.daily]# crontab -l
> # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and reinstall.
> # (/tmp/crontab.5900 installed on Tue Apr  6 10:05:20 2004)
> # (Cron version -- $Id: crontab.c,v 2.13 1994/01/17 03:20:37 vixie Exp $)
> 0-59/5 * * * * /etc/mail/mailstats.pl >> /dev/null 2>&1
> 28 1 * * *      /usr/local/bin/rules_du_jour
>
> I did some command and erased all these.  So I got them back by doing a
> crontab -e and putting them in the .tmp file it created.  Now it reads this
> when I do a crontab -L
>
> [root at MailScanner root]# crontab -l
> # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and reinstall.
> # (/tmp/crontab.11584 installed on Wed Oct 27 15:08:32 2004)
> # (Cron version -- $Id: crontab.c,v 2.13 1994/01/17 03:20:37 vixie Exp $)
> 0-59/5 * * * * /etc/mail/mailstats.pl >> /dev/null 2>&1
> 28 1 * * * /usr/local/bin/rules_du_jour
> [root at MailScanner root]#
>
> Please confirm that the error on my part is corrected from what I did.
>
> If you could take a minute and explain to me the difference between what is
> in crontab and how the logwatch runs or something.  The logwatch is
> abviously not in the crontab -l but it runs.  Do the dail, monthly, etc just
> run if they are setup and don't have to be in crontab?

There are many places where cron looks for executing tasks.  By calling
crontab -e, you are editing your (the user you're logged in as) personal
crontab file.  There are also other cron-related files in /etc/cron.d
and /etc/cron.daily, /etc/cron/hourly and so on (redhat).  Look in
/etc/cron.daily for logwatch.