mystery Int/3Devils-a virus kills Sophos/MS

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Fri Oct 22 13:57:35 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Gang,

I had a strange incident yesterday where my mail server came to
an ugly halt when my (big) root partition filled up because of
core files in /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine.   I had to blow
away things in this directory to get my problem fixed, so I
destroyed whatever evidence there was.  A study of syslogs after
the fact showed a bunch of entries like:

MailScanner[29997]: SophosSAVI::INFECTED:: Int/3Devils-a:: ./i9LCwNXc018783/core

So I've searched the Sophos website and googled for any information
on the Int/3Devils-a virus -- nothing.  I'm guessing that this thing
caused Sophos to core, causing my problem.  Has anybody else seen
mention of this virus in their system logs?  Got one quarantined?
I'm going to write to Sophos and ask them about this mystery virus.
Anybody else seen this?

Jeff Earickson
Colby College