Mail server backlogging - seems like a Bayes problem

Ron E. ree at THUNDERSTAR.NET
Thu Oct 21 19:25:16 IST 2004

Dear All,

        Hopefully someone has an idea for me - I have a server that
normally handles it's traffic load but this morning has started
backlogging - I ran MailScanner in debug mode and the only real point of
long delay I saw coming up repeatedly is:

debug: bayes: Can't use estimation method for expiry, something fishy,
calculating optimal atime delta (first pass)
debug: bayes: expiry max exponent: 9

The above messages I have only sometimes seen before when doing a bayes
database rebuild, but not always.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening repeatedly within one
MailScanner batch and how I can alleviate it?