Re. ZIP File problem

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Oct 20 09:24:32 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
At 08:23 20/10/2004, you wrote:
>Appended is a statement of the ZIP File "problem" in case others have
>not seen it.

I worked on this last night using Sophos as the virus scanner, and it
detected it just fine. So I don't agree with their comments.

Unpacking zip files for the purpose of virus scanning is all down to the
virus scanning engines, it's not MailScanner's fault. The decompression
Perl module that MailScanner uses for unpacking for other content checking
(in this case just the "filetype" checks) is partly vulnerable. However, as
a 0-length file is created, the filename checks will still work, so you
should still be protected by the virus scanner and the filename checks. So
I don't consider this to be a serious problem that I need/can do much about.

--
Julian Field