Add an aditional header to spam mail.

James Gray james_gray at ocs.com
Tue Oct 19 23:27:57 IST 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 06:28 am, James Ytterstene wrote:
> Hello
>
> I can't do that because our company has strict rules that dont alow us to
> do that. Sofar i haw patched the source each time i make an upgrade but if
> i could solve it with the config it would be much better.
>
> Is there a way to make a new line in the config. Something like \n. I have
> tried \n without success but maby there is an other way. I could then
> write the config line like this
>
> Spam Header = X-Spam-Flag: YES "new line" X-xyz-MailScanner-SpamCheck:
>
> But i dont know if that is possibel. Anyone ho know ?
>
> /James

We had the same problem as you we moved from just SA checks to the full
MailScanner solution.  The only work-around I could implement was to change
the "Spam Header" config option, then modify the languages.conf file.  I'm
not connected ATM (offline...on a train) but our setup looks something like
this:

Spam Header = X-Spam-Flag:

then in languages.conf (check these...not 100% sure of the tag names);
SPAM=YES
NOT_SPAM=NO

Also, in MailScanner.conf, we DONT include the "Spam Header" when the message
is clean (ham).  Unfortunately, with this configuration, you loose the extra
(useful) info about score and rules hit for ham/spam.  Spam reports handle
the false positives we occasionally get, but when spam slips through, I've
got to dig through logs for the message ID to see how the message was
processed - gah.  Lucky we get <0.01% false negatives :)

This setup is because some (nearly all) users simply check for the *existence*
of the "X-Spam-Flag" and ignore the yes/no status.  Despite much education,
lamenting and the odd LARTing, we're stuck with the users' inability to
modify Outlook rules to move their spam without direct assistance from IT
Ops! :(  Usually they end up deleting all incoming mail :P

Hope that gets you around the problem until another solution is devised.

Cheers,

James