/tmp issue

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Tue Oct 19 16:25:45 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
At 07:22 AM 10/19/2004, Julian Field wrote:
>It's probably SpamAssassin doing it.
>
>At 12:04 19/10/2004, you wrote:
> >Mailscanner seems to create a tmp directory in /tmp on one of our servers
> >for each and every e-mail.
> >
> >It fills /tmp with tmp dirs that look like tmp0d864484 etc.

I've never seen SA do that before, although SA does create tempfiles, it
generates them late in the game and cleans them up pretty soon afterward.
You'd have to kill SA at just the right time to cause it.

Michele, do you see MailScanner killing SA with timeout errors in your mailogs?

You might want to consider extending your SA timeout in MailScanner.conf.
IMO, Julian's default here is way too short for a bayes-enabled install of SA:

         SpamAssassin Timeout = 120

You might also want to enable MS's "Rebuild Bayes Every" option, and
disable bayes_auto_expire in SA's /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf. This
will make bayes expiry run when MS wants to run it, not as SA gets fed a
message.

Even with these settings I get the occasional timeout, but it's only
happened twice in the past month, instead of 10-15 times a day.